Promoting Inclusive Markets and Financial Systems
Taking Saving Groups on the Road Presents "The Importance of Monitoring Savings Groups: An Inside Look at The SAVIX"
Bill Maddocks, Carsey Institute Sustainable Microenterprise and Development Program
Hugh Allen, President VSL Associates
John Schiller, Plan Global Advisor - Savings Groups
The SAVIX—a web-based information management system to which Savings Groups Groups practitioners report—provides data analysis capability for Savings Groups’ projects, as well as a Group Evaluation Tool (inspired by the Management Information System) to assess individual group quality and to rate performance of field officers and village agents. This panel will offer both the user perspective and The SAVIX’s insights on using data for performance management.
- Growth of SG’s since “birth” in Niger in early 90’s has been phenomenal
- Latest data reports 8.85 million savings groups members in 67 countries
- Collection of data serves several purposes to measure quantity of outreach, quality of program delivery and key operational indicators.
- As you will hear from Hugh the latest version of SAVIX is a sophisticated Management Information Systems tool built on a relational database, meaning that sophisticated analysis is now possible at the level of individual projects, groups of projects in individual institutions and across international networks More than 350 institutions are using the SAVIX MIS to track the performance of more than 750 projects.
- As we grow from a movement to a field to an industry it is critical that we have the data to know how we are doing and where we can do better.
- As the methodology spreads beyond large facilitating agencies it will be important that independent SG programs have the ability to post directly to the SAVIX. In the past this was a complex process that had to be centrally managed. It can now be accomplished at the individual project level at the click of a mouse.