Advancing the inclusion of millions of people around the world into pro-poor, sustainable financial services.
The MasterCard Foundation
The MasterCard Foundation advances microfinance and youth learning to promote financial inclusion and prosperity. Through collaboration with committed partners in 48 countries, The MasterCard Foundation is helping people living in poverty to access opportunities to learn and prosper. An independent, private foundation based in Toronto, Canada, it was established through the generosity of MasterCard Worldwide at the time of the company’s initial public offering in 2006.
Savings Groups Global Outreach
Savings groups are expanding rapidly across the globe. This chart reports on expansion numbers by country and organization. Data is being collected by Hugh Allen in collaboration with the SLWG. These numbers will be updated twice a year, in December/January and May/June.
- This is not an exhaustive list, since we are only able to capture data from the more prominent players. What is happening below the radar horizon is clearly dynamic but largely uncounted.
- Some of the data is 9 months old, although most is less than 3 months old
- All of the data is self-reported
- These numbers do not include spontaneously replicated groups or those created by independent Village Agents, no longer attached to an implementing organisation
- The numbers do not take account of member desertion or group collapse, estimated to be at least 5%