Advancing the inclusion of millions of people around the world into pro-poor, sustainable financial services.
The MasterCard Foundation works with visionary organizations to provide greater access to education, skills training and financial services for people living in poverty, primarily in Africa. As one of the largest private foundations its work is guided by its mission to advance learning and promote financial inclusion to create an inclusive and equitable world. Based in Toronto, Canada, its independence was established by Mastercard when the Foundation was created in 2006. For more information and to sign up for the Foundation’s newsletter, please visit www.mastercardfdn.org. Follow the Foundation at @MastercardFdn on Twitter.
Savings Groups Global Outreach
Savings groups are expanding rapidly across the globe.
This chart reports on expansion numbers by country and organization. Data is being collected by Hugh Allen in collaboration with the SLWG. These numbers will be updated twice a year, in December/January and May/June.
Click here to download the data in Excel.
- This is not an exhaustive list, since we are only able to capture data from the more prominent players. What is happening below the radar horizon is clearly dynamic but largely uncounted.
- Some of the data is 9 months old, although most is less than 3 months old
- All of the data is self-reported
- These numbers do not include spontaneously replicated groups or those created by independent Village Agents, no longer attached to an implementing organisation
- The numbers do not take account of member desertion or group collapse, estimated to be at least 5%