Promoting Inclusive Markets and Financial Systems
Rural Agricultural Finance and Food Security eLearning Product Suite
In 2010, the number of undernourished people worldwide topped 925 million. Among the many factors responsible for this figure are high domestic food prices, lower household incomes, and increasing unemployment, all of which have significantly reduced access to food for the poor. Research has shown that a healthy agricultural sector can provide an economic buffer during financial crises. In addition, financial services responding to the food security needs of rural households can lead to more successful outreach and have a greater impact on the poor.
The Rural Agriculture Finance and Food Security Practitioner Learning Program is an action-learning project focused on approaches to and connections between rural and agricultural finance and household well-being, including food security. The envisioned impact is that rural households and enterprises will have increasing finance options that serve their needs and contribute to a vibrant rural economy both on and off the farm.
This initiative produced 5 e-learning products for practitioners who want to better understand rural agricultural finance and food security.
- A blog created by Catholic Relief Services (Sierra Leone) and Floresta (Tanzania) documenting how village savings and loan associations contribute to household food security.
- A screencast by the Aga Khan Rural Support Programme-India examining the impact of customized loan products for animal husbandry activities on food security for rural clients.
- A video by the Kazhi Kadaimaidai Farmers Federation (India) documenting the effect of value-added services on food security for rural households in Tamil Nadu, a state in southern India.
- An online case study by the Kazhi Kadaimaidai Farmers Federation (India) and the Aga Khan Rural Support Programme-India examining the impact of warehouse receipts programs on agricultural value chains and food security in India.
- A podcast by Food for the Hungry (Kenya) discussing the potential benefits of a loan guarantee financial product for rural livestock traders, and the envisioned impact of this product on food security.