We believe in the power of enterprise to reduce global poverty.
Global Conference on Savings Groups
View Larger Map
This year’s conference will be held March 4th and 5th, 2013 at the Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel in Arlington, VA. The theme of this year’s conference is Expanding Financial Inclusion and Development.
At the Savings Groups 2013 conference, you will learn about:
- The place that Saving Groups occupy within the current financial landscape
- How Savings Groups can be linked to the formal financial sector
- How Savings Groups reach the rural poor in remote areas
- How to scale up Savings Groups
- How Savings Groups can be platforms for other services, products, and types of education
- How to link Savings Groups to mobile technology
Working within this efficient model, they can evolve into more than just savings and credit groups. We invite you to join us in considering the future of Savings Groups.
Learn more and register at Oxfam America:
Savings Groups provide access to basic financial services to over six million rural poor people, mostly women, worldwide. These self-selected and self- managed groups, predominately found in remote areas of Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, and Central America, provide their members with a secure place to save and easy access to loans.
Meeting regularly, the group decides on the amount they want to save each week, the interest rate charged on loans to members, and whether or not they will have a social fund to help vulnerable families cope during emergencies. On a regular basis, such as a year, the group distributes the savings and starts a new cycle.
SGs stabilize income, increase household financial assets and decrease vulnerability to financial and other shocks. SGs are a simple, transparent, cost-effective and sustainable means of providing adapted financial services to the poor.
MasterCard Foundation Scholarships
In the spirit of fostering a diverse learning environment, Oxfam America is pleased to announce that the MasterCard Foundation will award partial scholarships for travel to the SG 2013 Savings Groups Conference. Interested individuals are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, especially if a visa is required. We strongly encourage women to apply.
How to qualify for the scholarship. Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be considered a delegate or speaker from Africa
- Be considered a speaker from Latin America or Asia
- Have at least two years of experience working with Savings Groups or in microfinance, central banking, regulatory agencies, or a related field
- Have limited access to financial resources to pay for all expenses required to attend the conference
Visit the conference website to apply for the MasterCard Foundation Scholarships or for more information.