Promoting Inclusive Markets and Financial Systems
FFH CORE Group Panel - Increasing the Capacity for Health Outreach: Linking Health, Financial Services, and Microenterprise Development
Holiday Inn - Inner Harbor, 301 W Lombard St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
View Larger Map
HAMED members Cassie Chandler, Brian Swarts, Jana Smith, and Katie Waller will be leading a session with public health practitioners at the CORE Conference with the intent to give a global perspective of cross-sectoral collaboration occurring between health and financing sectors, including a discussion about the evidence of impact and cost-effectiveness.
The session will cover specific examples of:
- integrating savings group and health with a particular focus on OVC households,
- integrating microfinance and health, and
- how traditional birth attendants can be trained to not only provide care, but also sell health products to the market as a way to also build their own sustainable source of revenue.
By the end of the session, participants will have engaged in discussions about how the health sector can better approach and engage the financial services sector, how we can better strengthen the capacity of both sectors to work with one another, and how individual organizations can introduce a financial component to complement an existing health program or vice versa.
- Cassie Chandler, Technical Advisor – Freedom from Hunger
- Brian Swarts, Assistant Program Director – Strategic Planning, Salvation Army World Service Office
- Jana Smith, Manager – Health Program Development and Innovation, Pro Mujer
- Katie Waller, Innovations Program Officer – Concern Worldwide