Welcome to the YaFS Hub
Youth may experience financial pressures from the following life-cycle events:
• Taking care of family
To overcome these challenges, young people may need to make a variety of financial decisions, which may include the following:
• Postponing unnecessary expenses and studies
• Increasing the amount of part-time work or finding seasonal work
• Selling additional crops (in an agrarian-based society)
• Saving at home or with another person
• Saving in kind (animals); selling animal or things
• Borrowing from friends, family, or a local shopkeeper
• Borrowing from an informal association
• Drawing on community assistance or mutual help (AIM Youth - Mali , AIM Youth - Senegal)
Development practitioners must cater their interventions to the decision making patterns and behaviors of youth in spending, saving, and borrowing money.
Engage with us!
Join the discussion.