The SEEP Network
September 19 - 21, 2016
Annual Conference Volunteers
Call for Volunteers
Want an opportunity to attend the premier event for microenterprise development practitioners and industry stakeholders for free (a $1000 value)? Want to gain practical experience in the field of international development? Want to engage with some of the most innovative development organizations in the world? Apply to volunteer for the 2015 SEEP Annual Conference!
Every year SEEP offers a platform for attendees to connect, engage, and learn more about the challenges and opportunities they face in reducing poverty and strengthening the industry. In 2014, the SEEP Annual Conference welcomed over 500 participants from more than 250 organizations and 70 countries. We are eager to convene once again this year to explore this year’s theme of “Inclusion and Resilience.”
All volunteer assignments will be fulfilled in Arlington, Virginia during the dates of the Conference (September 28-October 1, 2015) and/or during the set-up process immediately prior to the Conference (September 14-27, 2015). All volunteers must attend at least one orientation day prior to the Conference. Volunteers must be fluent in English and those with additional language skills (French, Spanish) will be given priority.
Volunteers are required to work a minimum of one (1) day equal to eight (8) hours during the Conference, although volunteers when not on assignment, volunteers may attend the other activities of the Conference. Additionally, All volunteers must attend at least one orientation day prior to the Conference.
In exchange, volunteers will be entitled to a waiver of one (1) day of Conference registration fees. All other costs (housing, meals not provided during conference activities, airfare, incidental expenses) associated with participation in the Conference are the responsibility of the volunteer. However, a modest transportation and meal stipend will be provided. Persons who accept a Volunteer assignment will be asked to sign an agreement indicating their acceptance of the assignment(s) and a guarantee to fulfill their assigned duties.
Volunteer assignments will be made based on the needs of the Conference. A partial listing of volunteer tasks includes:
- Registration. Volunteers will provide administrative/clerical support to the Conference registrar during the check-in of Conference participants.
- Information. Volunteers may need to provide information to participants about local attractions, places to eat, and other relevant Conference information. They will also provide assistance to participants in locating Conference meeting rooms and other hotel facilities.
- Conference Logistics. Volunteers will serve in a variety of capacities to support the on-site operations of the Conference. Some of these duties include stuffing and distributing Conference registration packets, distributing room signs to sessions, collecting tickets, and providing general administrative support
- Session Room Monitors. Volunteers will provide general assistance in the various workshop rooms, taking notes of session presentations, reporting any audio-visual equipment that is not working properly, alerting speakers to the time limits for presentations, and distributing handouts.
- Conference preparation. Volunteers will assist SEEP staff in logistical and organizational tasks in the immediate run-up to the conference.
- LOCAL RESIDENTS: Local volunteers will provide general assistance to our international guests, including language assistance (may include attending part or all of other Conference activities to serve as a volunteer interpreter) or other assistance as needed.
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office applications, especially Word and Excel
- Strong work ethic; willing and able to perform all duties required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with an ability to work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Fluency in Spanish and/or French highly desirable
- Experience for meeting and event planning: via telephone/video conference call and in-person
- Experience in managing databases and contact lists, a plus
- Aptitude for updating on-line content (websites) and experience with website navigation
- Easygoing manner, energetic, upbeat personality
Submit an application through this online form. Applications will be accepted as long as volunteers are needed. Selected applicants will be notified of their acceptance on or before September 7, 2015.